Holistic Community Development
In Southern India we have a project underway to improve access to health services, education and community support. The region has many of the social issues typical of a developing nation including poor health, employment insecurity, domestic violence, uncontrolled crime, lack of opportunity for higher study, personal debt and high suicide rates. In response to destitution, our in-country partner delivers five core services:
- Health Care – A Health Care Clinic and its associated mobile services provide care and awareness programs for the treatment and prevention of disease in remote areas.
- Child Rights and Relief – Accommodation facilities are set up to house children in crises due to loss of parents, abandonment or deprivation.
- Education – Teachers and materials are funded to improve the quality and capacity of education in local primary and secondary schools as well as an early learning centre.
- Community Development – Projects are established in collaboration with the community to address perceived needs such as women’s support groups, English language programs, youth support services and vocational training.
- Environmental Sustainability – A Coastal Environment Education Centre educates locals and partners with other organisations in order to best preserve the pristine natural environment of the surrounding hinterland.
Key Areas of Expenditure:
- Health Centre running costs including staff, materials, medication and facility upkeep
- Accommodation running costs including lodgment, food and support services
- Teaching resources and funding
- Startup capital and running costs for community development projects
- Coastal Environment Education Centre networking and scoping for new projects